If you struggle with commitment issues, these joyous times are marred by actions that reveal you’re unsure of how...
8 Simple Ways to Nurture Long-Distance Relationships
Long-distance relationships require special attention to make them last. You can keep your love alive with these simple tips.
Try these techniques to keep in touch and help your relationship thrive:
Establish guidelines for contact.It’s important to establish guidelines for how you’ll contact each other early in the relationship. One of the most common concerns voiced by couples is working out a schedule.
- Will you call or email each other every day? How about once a week? It’s crucial that both of you are clear on how often you’ll speak with each other so neither of you have mistaken expectations. Expecting a contact and not getting it can lead to hurt feelings.
- The way you contact each other is also important. Will you rely on your phones or do online video chats?
- Discuss concerns as they arise. Instead of waiting to talk about issues, try to discuss them right away to avoid resentment and anger. Long-distance relationships thrive on honesty and respect.
- Clear communication is essential for maintaining a relationship.
- Discuss your goals. Distance in a relationship can change both people. Are your goals still the same?
- Discussing your goals can help you establish a stronger relationship.
- Do you plan to move back together? Do you want to get married eventually?
- Serious discussions about your future are essential, but you’ll also want to talk about fun plans. The next time you see each other, what do you plan to do? Consider making reservations for a spectacular day or night of dining, dancing, and entertainment.
- Watch some of the same TV shows and read some of the same books. You’ll want to have some common interests. Common interests form deeper bonds in relationships. Couples who share similar ideas are more likely to stay together.
- You can still enjoy multiple television shows and books, but reading and watching several of them together will give you more topics to discuss.
- Get creative. Talking to each other every day can get boring, so it’s important to come up with creative ways to communicate.
- Send your loved one a unique card or draw a picture.
- Create a short video of your favorite moments together and get other family members to participate.
- Sing a song and record it for your love.
- Send things through the mail on occasion. The element of surprise can help add sparks to a relationship.
- Online communication is best for daily interactions. However, sending things through the post office on occasion can add a fun factor to the relationship. Cards, letters, photos, and other gifts are easy to mail.
- Visit each other frequently. One of the best ways to maintain a long-distance relationship is to see each other as often as possible.
- Depending on the distance between you, visits can be expensive. You may want to meet in the middle and save travel costs by reducing the total distance.
- Discuss family and friends. Conversations about your family and friends can help you form stronger bonds. You’ll learn more about each other in the process.
- Sometimes finding new topics to discuss every day can be tricky. You already talked about your work, pets, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. What else can you talk about and share? The lives of friends and family can provide ample material for conversations.
You can enjoy a long-distance relationship and make it last. These relationships just need special care and attention to thrive.